22 September, 2009

My Brother Ross ~ in a nutshell

I 'lost' my bro on the 11th July 2006. I dont know how to put it all down/get it out, yet. All I can say is. I loved Ross. Be was my big bro who protected me and we shared a love for music. Before he became ill with rheumatoid arthritis (worst case in someone so young in the history of SA medicine.) He then became addicted to his meds. Then nearly died coming off Morphine cold turkey. Then got a 'staf' bug while in hospital (one of the many times). Then got gang-green. Then got his leg amputated. Then got married... in amoungst, hip and knee replacements. Then went into remission for about 6 months. Then went down hill fast. Miraculously fathered a child (they said it was immpossible coz of all the radiation therapy he had had over the years.) Connor turned 5 in August, 11 days after Ross would have been 39. I watched my brother go through pain that you dont even see in movies. Pain that challenges your belief in God, on a daily bases. Pain that would put him in a coma.. and we would all gather around, say our 'good-byes', mourn for him. And 12 hours later he would wake up and ask for PIZZA!!! On the evening he died, (we lived next door to eachother), his wife called over the fence to come quickly. My sister and her husband had arrived back from an overseas trip that morning. They pulled into the driveway directly behind my folks, who were there for their daily visit. And he died, 20 mins later. While we all stood around his bed.That evening was the most spectacular full moon Cape Town has ever seen. From the front door of our houses, it rose, deep orange/red, over False Bay. It began its accent, almost to the minute, he passed away.
... and the name of the trust fund, for Ross's son, Connor, which was set up a year prior, is called....Copper Moon Rising!

6 comments:

  1. I am tickled to see you here and saddened to hear the magnitude of the pain which you have had to understand. A sibling-thing, our brother's- such an intense love which means that when we lose them, its a very sore sore. THIS is a tragedy. I pray that somehow BigDad will help all, including your readers, to understand the hows and whys. If not, then maybe just acceptance.....somehow. I shall compliment you on how clever and beautiful your blog looks once I can see through my tears again. Speak soon fellow fabulous friendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pippa,

    YOU inspired me to write it. I have spoken about it heaps, but it really helps to actally 'put it to paper'.
    I am not too sore about Ross anymore. Although it never goes away. But it was great to 'verbalise' it ~ on paper (so-to-speak).
    I also think it helps to know that others have/do feel your pain. Its so good to share our loads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adi our lovely person...what a beautiful 'tribute' and memory for 'our' boy..yeh, the pain is and was immeasurable, we shall never forget, but somehow get by without him. The dying/not dying Pizza stories are hysterical I remember them well! Phew, what a roller coaster! (PS. Ross would have been 39!)
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Copper Moon Rising - how incredible. These things only He knows. My heart goes out to you. I've lost my Mom and I can't imagine how I would feel if I had to lose my brother as well.

    You're so talented, Adi. Continue on this wonderfully creative journey. God has Blessed you! Sonja x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! Remember those days.... Phew! It was hectic! But how wonderful the brain is - we mostly only remember the good stuff!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to your brother.
    So sorry for your losing him.

    Writing things out can be so healing.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete